Main
Date: 16 Dec 2008 10:29:40
From: samsloan
Subject: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the Hand
at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores
everywhere.
.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=0923891749

This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of the
original 1934 work.

This is THE BOOK that every strong bridge player in the world has
studied. Louis H. WATSON, the author of this book, was rated as one of
the ten outstanding Bridge players in the world by all experts and
authorities. Collier's Magazine of March 24,1934, ranked Mr. Watson as
No. 4 player. Ely Culbertson considered Mr. Watson "among two or three
authorities really qualified to write on Bridge, because he is a
master player, a great analyst and a fine writer-all in one." For many
years Mr. Watson was closely associated with Mr. Culbertson as,
Technical Editor of The Bridge World Magazine. As Bridge Editor of The
New York Post, Mr. Watson wrote daily for this newspaper and
associated newspapers. The Post said: "Even more than for his skill,
and his Bridge trail-blazing, Mr. Watson deserves a special niche
among Bridge masters. For he is a Bridge expert who can also write. He
can make the most complex and critical Bridge situation as clear as
simple honors." MR. WATSON'S CHAMPIONSHIP RECORD In 1934 he won the
Team-of-Four Championship of the All-American Whist League at Chicago
with Samuel Fry, Jr., A. Mitchell Barnes and H. Hither Boscowitz; also
won the Contract Pair Championship of the same tournament with Samuel
Fry, Jr. In 1934 he won the Cavendish Club Individual Trophy,
competing against a score of New York's master Bridge players. In 1933
he won the Team-of-Four Championship of the All-American Whist League
with Samuel Fry, Jr., Walter Malowan and Charles Lochridge; also won
the Contract Pair Championship of the same tournament with Samuel Fry,
Jr. In 1932 he won the National Team-of-Four Championship of the
American Bridge League at Asbury Park with Oswald Jacoby, Michael T.
Gottlieb and Theodore A. Lightner.

ISBN 0-923891-74-9

This book appears at Barnes and Noble through an agreement reached
last week by which most Ishi Press books will be available at all
Barnes and Noble stores and other stores worldwide.

Sam Sloan




 
Date: 18 Dec 2008 20:40:03
From: CBFalconer
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
vspoker@hotmail.com wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> samsloan wrote:
>>
>>> A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the
>>> Hand at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble
>>> Bookstores everywhere.
>>>
>>> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=09238...
>>>
>>> This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
>>> the original 1934 work.
>>
>> I have that 1958 version somewhere, in paperback. Can't believe I
>> bought it that long ago.
>
> Maybe you didn't. I have my copy.
>
> $2.50
> New edition by Sam Fry Jr.
> Ninth printing, 1968

Nope, it wasn't that late. I bought it in Boston, and I left there
in 1963.

--
[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net >
Try the download section.


 
Date: 18 Dec 2008 14:49:02
From:
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 12:57=A0pm, "henrysun...@yahoo.com" <henrysun...@yahoo.com >
wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2:41=A0am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Dec 17, 12:15=A0am, David Babcock <d...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > > > A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the Ha=
nd
> > > > at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores
> > > > everywhere.
>
> > > An edition that is perfectly serviceable for the non-vision-impaired
> > > is available from Amazon, used, for $2.21 plus shipping (when I looke=
d
> > > a minute ago).
>
> > > David
>
> > Sure. There are many copies of the 1958 edition available.
>
> > And, if you want to buy a used book with smaller print to give to your
> > one true love for a Christmas present, to express your undying but
> > unrequited love for her, definitely you should buy one of the two
> > dollar versions available everywhere.
>
> > But if you want to buy a nicer, larger, brand new edition you might
> > want to blow a ittle extra money and get it from Barnes and Noble.
>
> >http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=3D09238.=
..
>
> > You can tell the difference between the two editions because I put the
> > original 1934 cover on the book (thanks to Tim Bourke who still had
> > one) whereas the 1958 reprint has a completely different cover.
>
> > Sam Sloan
>
> You can also buy the version from Barnes and Noble if you want to
> support Samsloan's publishing company since the book he has just
> spammed to the group has his name as an editor.
>
> Of course, since Carl got slammed by promoting his website in
> conjunction with Bergen's new book on slam bidding, what's fair for
> the goose is fair for the gander.
>
> Henrysun909

The site has eliminated the non bridge slamming.


 
Date: 18 Dec 2008 11:22:42
From:
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 16, 7:21=A0pm, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> samsloan wrote:
>
> > A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the
> > Hand at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble
> > Bookstores everywhere.
>
> >http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=3D09238.=
..
>
> > This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
> > the original 1934 work.
>
> I have that 1958 version somewhere, in paperback. =A0Can't believe I
> bought it that long ago.
>
> --
> =A0[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
> =A0[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Try the download section.

Maybe you didn't. I have my copy.

$2.50
New edition by Sam Fry Jr.
Ninth printing, 1968


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 13:31:20
From: ted
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 2:57=A0pm, "henrysun...@yahoo.com" <henrysun...@yahoo.com >
wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2:41=A0am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Dec 17, 12:15=A0am, David Babcock <d...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > > > A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the Ha=
nd
> > > > at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores
> > > > everywhere.
>
> > > An edition that is perfectly serviceable for the non-vision-impaired
> > > is available from Amazon, used, for $2.21 plus shipping (when I looke=
d
> > > a minute ago).
>
> > > David
>
> > Sure. There are many copies of the 1958 edition available.
>
> > And, if you want to buy a used book with smaller print to give to your
> > one true love for a Christmas present, to express your undying but
> > unrequited love for her, definitely you should buy one of the two
> > dollar versions available everywhere.
>
> > But if you want to buy a nicer, larger, brand new edition you might
> > want to blow a ittle extra money and get it from Barnes and Noble.
>
> >http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=3D09238.=
..
>
> > You can tell the difference between the two editions because I put the
> > original 1934 cover on the book (thanks to Tim Bourke who still had
> > one) whereas the 1958 reprint has a completely different cover.
>
> > Sam Sloan
>
> You can also buy the version from Barnes and Noble if you want to
> support Samsloan's publishing company since the book he has just
> spammed to the group has his name as an editor.
>
> Of course, since Carl got slammed by promoting his website in
> conjunction with Bergen's new book on slam bidding, what's fair for
> the goose is fair for the gander.
>
> Henrysun909

Not by me! ;-) I do object to the shoe salesmen though and maybe could
handle that if they would put clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades
decorations on the articles for sale. :-)


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 12:57:17
From: henrysun909@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 2:41=A0am, samsloan <samhsl...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 12:15=A0am, David Babcock <d...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > > A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the Hand
> > > at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores
> > > everywhere.
>
> > An edition that is perfectly serviceable for the non-vision-impaired
> > is available from Amazon, used, for $2.21 plus shipping (when I looked
> > a minute ago).
>
> > David
>
> Sure. There are many copies of the 1958 edition available.
>
> And, if you want to buy a used book with smaller print to give to your
> one true love for a Christmas present, to express your undying but
> unrequited love for her, definitely you should buy one of the two
> dollar versions available everywhere.
>
> But if you want to buy a nicer, larger, brand new edition you might
> want to blow a ittle extra money and get it from Barnes and Noble.
>
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=3D09238..=
.
>
> You can tell the difference between the two editions because I put the
> original 1934 cover on the book (thanks to Tim Bourke who still had
> one) whereas the 1958 reprint has a completely different cover.
>
> Sam Sloan

You can also buy the version from Barnes and Noble if you want to
support Samsloan's publishing company since the book he has just
spammed to the group has his name as an editor.

Of course, since Carl got slammed by promoting his website in
conjunction with Bergen's new book on slam bidding, what's fair for
the goose is fair for the gander.

Henrysun909


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 06:34:52
From: David Babcock
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
> Sure. There are many copies of the 1958 edition available.
>
> And, if you want to buy a used book with smaller print to give to your
> one true love for a Christmas present, to express your undying but
> unrequited love for her, definitely you should buy one of the two
> dollar versions available everywhere.

The 1958 edition is available new from the same Barnes and Noble (or
other sources) for considerably less than the price of your reprint,
and none of the 14 reviews of the 1958 edition on Amazon makes any
complaint about the print size. I had been addressing people who
might be looking for reading copies for their own use, of course.

Larger type (which you might discuss or illustrate more concretely,
BTW) certainly is a valid selling point with an aging population, and
I wish you luck. Some days I just happen to have my consumer hat on,
that's all.

David


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 06:12:32
From: ted
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 5:55=A0am, ian.p...@charterchambers.com wrote:
> On Dec 17, 11:14=A0am, Dave Flower <DavJFlo...@AOL.COM> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Dec 17, 6:02 am, Bill Jacobs <bill.jac...@quest.com> wrote:
>
> > > Offramp <alaneobr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:aaae7fcc-b3f7-41be-96f7=
-
> > > d5034a74c...@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > > > On Dec 17, 3:21 am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > >> > This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
> > > >> > the original 1934 work.
>
> > > > I thought the 1934 edition was a copy of the 1884 version.
>
> > > Yes, but the 1884 version is just a ripoff of the original book writt=
en in
> > > 1635. I have that on papyrus.
>
> > > Cheers ... Bill
>
> > But wasn't the papyrus edition a pirated copy of the original
> > cuneiform ?
>
> > Dave Flower
>
> ++++How dare you all mock this fine reprint of "THE BOOK that every
> strong bridge player in the world has studied". Churls, all of you!
>
> It is to my eternal regret that I cannot be regarded as a strong
> bridge player (in the world or indeed elsewhere) because I haven't
> studied this book. I note, however, that in order to have studied the
> book you don't actually have to have read it. You merely have to have
> observed things like the quality of the binding. Perhaps there's hope
> for me yet.
>
> Has anybody seen this reprinted version? Is there a large note on the
> cover telling potential buyers that it is of historical interest only,
> or is it being represented as of value to the player of 2008 as a
> learning aid? Just curious.

Having "read" the available version almost 40 years ago I suspect that
its nature means it is a useful tool for a new or intermediate player.
I treated every hand shown as a problem and then read the description
of the proper play. It is strictly about what the title suggests...how
to play the hand without regard to the bidding. It is made of
subsections that meticulously describe most of the ways to make hands
from simple suit establishment through the simpler squeezes.


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 14:45:12
From: Peter Lipp
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
Am 16.12.2008, 19:29 Uhr, schrieb samsloan <samhsloan@gmail.com >:

> This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of the
> original 1934 work.
Now, if I have the Fry-version, is there any reason also to read the
original (besides curiosity etc.)
P



--
Erstellt mit Operas revolutionärem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/mail/


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 03:55:36
From:
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 11:14=A0am, Dave Flower <DavJFlo...@AOL.COM > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 6:02 am, Bill Jacobs <bill.jac...@quest.com> wrote:
>
> > Offramp <alaneobr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:aaae7fcc-b3f7-41be-96f7-
> > d5034a74c...@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > > On Dec 17, 3:21 am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >> > This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
> > >> > the original 1934 work.
>
> > > I thought the 1934 edition was a copy of the 1884 version.
>
> > Yes, but the 1884 version is just a ripoff of the original book written=
in
> > 1635. I have that on papyrus.
>
> > Cheers ... Bill
>
> But wasn't the papyrus edition a pirated copy of the original
> cuneiform ?
>
> Dave Flower

++++How dare you all mock this fine reprint of "THE BOOK that every
strong bridge player in the world has studied". Churls, all of you!

It is to my eternal regret that I cannot be regarded as a strong
bridge player (in the world or indeed elsewhere) because I haven't
studied this book. I note, however, that in order to have studied the
book you don't actually have to have read it. You merely have to have
observed things like the quality of the binding. Perhaps there's hope
for me yet.

Has anybody seen this reprinted version? Is there a large note on the
cover telling potential buyers that it is of historical interest only,
or is it being represented as of value to the player of 2008 as a
learning aid? Just curious.


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 03:14:25
From: Dave Flower
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 6:02=EF=BF=BDam, Bill Jacobs <bill.jac...@quest.com > wrote:
> Offramp <alaneobr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:aaae7fcc-b3f7-41be-96f7-
> d5034a74c...@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Dec 17, 3:21=EF=BF=BDam, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> > This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
> >> > the original 1934 work.
>
> > I thought the 1934 edition was a copy of the 1884 version.
>
> Yes, but the 1884 version is just a ripoff of the original book written i=
n
> 1635. =EF=BF=BDI have that on papyrus.
>
> Cheers ... Bill

But wasn't the papyrus edition a pirated copy of the original
cuneiform ?

Dave Flower


 
Date: 17 Dec 2008 02:41:54
From: samsloan
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 12:15=A0am, David Babcock <d...@fastmail.fm > wrote:
> > A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the Hand
> > at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores
> > everywhere.
>
> An edition that is perfectly serviceable for the non-vision-impaired
> is available from Amazon, used, for $2.21 plus shipping (when I looked
> a minute ago).
>
> David

Sure. There are many copies of the 1958 edition available.

And, if you want to buy a used book with smaller print to give to your
one true love for a Christmas present, to express your undying but
unrequited love for her, definitely you should buy one of the two
dollar versions available everywhere.

But if you want to buy a nicer, larger, brand new edition you might
want to blow a ittle extra money and get it from Barnes and Noble.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=3D092389174=
9

You can tell the difference between the two editions because I put the
original 1934 cover on the book (thanks to Tim Bourke who still had
one) whereas the 1958 reprint has a completely different cover.

Sam Sloan


 
Date: 16 Dec 2008 21:15:58
From: David Babcock
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at

> A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the Hand
> at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble Bookstores
> everywhere.

An edition that is perfectly serviceable for the non-vision-impaired
is available from Amazon, used, for $2.21 plus shipping (when I looked
a minute ago).

Carl Ritner is offering a first edition (not a reprint) for $17.50.

David


 
Date: 16 Dec 2008 19:29:54
From: Offramp
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
On Dec 17, 3:21=A0am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com > wrote:

> > This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
> > the original 1934 work.

I thought the 1934 edition was a copy of the 1884 version.


  
Date: 17 Dec 2008 06:02:48
From: Bill Jacobs
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at Barnes and Noble
Offramp <alaneobrien@gmail.com > wrote in news:aaae7fcc-b3f7-41be-96f7-
d5034a74ce8c@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 17, 3:21 am, CBFalconer <cbfalco...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> > This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
>> > the original 1934 work.
>
> I thought the 1934 edition was a copy of the 1884 version.

Yes, but the 1884 version is just a ripoff of the original book written in
1635. I have that on papyrus.

Cheers ... Bill


 
Date: 16 Dec 2008 22:21:27
From: CBFalconer
Subject: Re: Watson on the Play of the Hand at Contract Bridge is available at
samsloan wrote:
>
> A new reprinting of the classic work, "Watson on the Play of the
> Hand at Contract Bridge" is now available at Barnes and Noble
> Bookstores everywhere.
>
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=0923891749
>
> This is not the 1958 revision by Sam Fry, but a new reprint of
> the original 1934 work.

I have that 1958 version somewhere, in paperback. Can't believe I
bought it that long ago.

--
[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net >
Try the download section.