Main
Date: 02 Jun 2007 21:31:55
From: D. Spencer Hines
Subject: Re: Winboard 4.2.7 -- Capabilities & Limitations
It's a question of the length of the dash in the castling notations.

My Windows XP Pro SP2/Winboard 4.2.7 wants 0-0 and 0-0-0 ---- NOT longer,
double, dashes.

When I copy these games onto the Clipboard, a short dash [hyphen] in the
castling notation is changed to a long dash, which Winboard 4.2.7 then
chokes on.

If I change the long dashes to short ones [hyphens], everything is
copacetic.

DSH






 
Date: 04 Jun 2007 03:43:10
From: Chris F.A. Johnson
Subject: Re: Winboard 4.2.7 -- Capabilities & Limitations
On 2007-06-02, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> It's a question of the length of the dash in the castling notations.
>
> My Windows XP Pro SP2/Winboard 4.2.7 wants 0-0 and 0-0-0 ---- NOT longer,
> double, dashes.
>
> When I copy these games onto the Clipboard, a short dash [hyphen] in the
> castling notation is changed to a long dash, which Winboard 4.2.7 then
> chokes on.

That's a failing of whatever program you are using, possibly
Windows itself.

> If I change the long dashes to short ones [hyphens], everything is
> copacetic.

There is no long dash in the ASCII character set, which is what PGN
is composed of.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfaj.freeshell.org >
===================================================================
Author:
Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)


  
Date: 04 Jun 2007 16:15:08
From: D. Spencer Hines
Subject: Re: Winboard 4.2.7 -- Capabilities & Limitations
That's Right.

DSH

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On 2007-06-02, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

>> It's a question of the length of the dash in the castling notations.
>>
>> My Windows XP Pro SP2/Winboard 4.2.7 wants 0-0 and 0-0-0 ---- NOT longer,
>> double, dashes.
>>
>> When I copy these games onto the Clipboard, a short dash [hyphen] in the
>> castling notation is changed to a long dash, which Winboard 4.2.7 then
>> chokes on.
>
> That's a failing of whatever program you are using, possibly
> Windows itself.
>
>> If I change the long dashes to short ones [hyphens], everything is
>> copacetic.
>
> There is no long dash in the ASCII character set, which is what PGN
> is composed of.
>
> --
> Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
> ===================================================================
> Author:
> Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)