Main
Date: 02 Nov 2006 14:47:39
From: The Last Danish Pastry
Subject: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+




 
Date: 02 Nov 2006 07:48:58
From:
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram

White pawns must have made at least 13 captures, right? But they
couldn' t capture the missing black bishop at f8, which must have been
taken by a different white piece. Since there are still three black
pieces left... looks like it is impossible.

am I wrong?



  
Date: 02 Nov 2006 16:25:58
From: The Last Danish Pastry
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> White pawns must have made at least 13 captures, right? But they
> couldn' t capture the missing black bishop at f8, which must have
> been
> taken by a different white piece. Since there are still three black
> pieces left... looks like it is impossible.
>
> am I wrong?

You are right :)

--
Clive Tooth
www.clivetooth.dk
Stock photos:
http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=61771




 
Date: 02 Nov 2006 07:19:55
From:
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram

The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>


  
Date: 02 Nov 2006 16:40:01
From: Antonio Torrecillas
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
En/na [email protected] ha escrit:

> The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
>
>>+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>


   
Date: 06 Nov 2006 14:19:19
From: BH
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
I must admit I don't get any of the below explanation...where are the 'f'
pawns? Looks to me like it's a row of d pawns. And why must the promoted
pawn have to have captured 4 pieces? The d7 pawn got there by capturing 3
pieces....but the 'd8' pawn (before promotion) could of got to d7 by
capturing 3 pieces before the current d7 pawn got there, and then simply
moved to d8 and promoted to a bishop... no need for 4 captures.
Also, white can sacrifice his pieces so that the otherwise useless black A
and H pawns move in two columns so that they can be captured by white pawns
and thus become useful (else black will run out of pieces for white to
capture). I tied very quickly using this scheme and it seems to me the
position can be reached legally.




"Antonio Torrecillas" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> En/na [email protected] ha escrit:
>
> > The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
> >
> >>+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
> >>


    
Date: 06 Nov 2006 09:26:13
From: The Last Danish Pastry
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
"BH" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>I must admit I don't get any of the below explanation...where are the
>'f'
> pawns? Looks to me like it's a row of d pawns. And why must the
> promoted
> pawn have to have captured 4 pieces? The d7 pawn got there by
> capturing 3
> pieces....but the 'd8' pawn (before promotion) could of got to d7 by
> capturing 3 pieces before the current d7 pawn got there, and then
> simply
> moved to d8 and promoted to a bishop... no need for 4 captures.
> Also, white can sacrifice his pieces so that the otherwise useless
> black A
> and H pawns move in two columns so that they can be captured by
> white pawns
> and thus become useful (else black will run out of pieces for white
> to
> capture). I tied very quickly using this scheme and it seems to me
> the
> position can be reached legally.

Top posting is *not* the usual method responding on Usenet.

I am guessing that you are looking at the position using a
variable-width font. Try looking it again using a fixed-width font,
such as Courier. I would suggest that you make Courier your default
font for reading Usenet.

--
Clive Tooth
www.clivetooth.dk
Stock photos:
http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=61771




     
Date: 06 Nov 2006 20:30:19
From: BH
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram

Well sorry, but I've always top posted (lets the reader see the reply
without the need to scroll down a thousand pages of info they may not care
about), and I've been doing it 1993, so not, if you don't like it , *you*
change.



"The Last Danish Pastry" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "BH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> >I must admit I don't get any of the below explanation...where are the
> >'f'
> > pawns? Looks to me like it's a row of d pawns. And why must the
> > promoted
> > pawn have to have captured 4 pieces? The d7 pawn got there by
> > capturing 3
> > pieces....but the 'd8' pawn (before promotion) could of got to d7 by
> > capturing 3 pieces before the current d7 pawn got there, and then
> > simply
> > moved to d8 and promoted to a bishop... no need for 4 captures.
> > Also, white can sacrifice his pieces so that the otherwise useless
> > black A
> > and H pawns move in two columns so that they can be captured by
> > white pawns
> > and thus become useful (else black will run out of pieces for white
> > to
> > capture). I tied very quickly using this scheme and it seems to me
> > the
> > position can be reached legally.
>
> Top posting is *not* the usual method responding on Usenet.
>
> I am guessing that you are looking at the position using a
> variable-width font. Try looking it again using a fixed-width font,
> such as Courier. I would suggest that you make Courier your default
> font for reading Usenet.
>
> --
> Clive Tooth
> www.clivetooth.dk
> Stock photos:
> http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=61771
>
>




   
Date: 02 Nov 2006 16:32:22
From: The Last Danish Pastry
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
"Antonio Torrecillas" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> En/na [email protected] ha escrit:
>
>> The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
>>
>>>+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>>


  
Date: 02 Nov 2006 16:36:54
From: Antonio Torrecillas
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram
En/na [email protected] ha escrit:
> The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
>
>>+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>


 
Date: 02 Nov 2006 07:18:25
From:
Subject: Re: Very simple puzzle with pretty diagram

The Last Danish Pastry wrote:
> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>